Ground (Earth) brings an electrical circuit into contact with earth by using a conductive material, such as a metal enclosure or conductor. There are three types of grounding: safety grounding, functional grounding, and lightning protection grounding.
Common (Common ground)is not a ground but a reference potential for circuit operation.
Safety grounding (protective grounding) is an essential mechanism that protects equipment, peripheral facilities, and users against electrical leakage or overcurrents in electrical products.
It ensures safety by directing the flowed electricity to the ground. In Japan, there are four Classes of safety grounding: Class A, B, C, and Class D. They are classified according to voltage and application.
Functional grounding provides the stable operation of electrical equipment. The ground is used as a point of zero potential, and the ground itself is used as part of the circuit to stabilize the operation of the circuit.
Lightning protection grounding is used to safely discharge the current generated by lightning from the lightning rod to the earth. The energy of the current caused by lightning is so great and dangerous that it can destroy equipment, buildings and harm people.
The lightning protection prevents damage by releasing the lightning current to the ground, which is crucial in designing and operating electrical and information systems.
Information on related articles in Technical Knowledge
- What is a Power Supply? Types and Applications
- What is a Power Supply? (Basic Knowledge)
- Safety and Usage of High Voltage Power Supply
- What is DC power supply? (Basic Knowledge)
- What is a Bipolar Power Supply? (Basic Knowledge)
- What is an Electronic Load? (Basic Knowledge)
- What is an AC Power Source (Basic Knowledge)
- Linear vs. Switching Power Supplies: Key Differences Explained
- Types of X-ray tubes and high-voltage power supplies
- High Voltage Measurement Method
- How to choose the DC power supply? Explanation of the points.
- Difference between DC power and AC power
- For New Electronics Engineers, How to Use the Power Supply Safely
- How to use DC Power Supply and remote sensing correctly and safely
- How to Select a High Voltage Power Supply for Analyzers
- Basics of amplifiers, how to use the amplifier and precautions
- Method of Generating Direct Current (DC) Power