Blowholes within aluminum castings are shrinkage cavities. As they are detected as defects during the inspection, it is necessary to find out the location and size of the blowholes to take preventive measures. The shrinkage cavities cannot be visually inspected, X-ray system is needed for such shrinkage cavity inspections in aluminum casting.
Aluminum die castings have complex shapes, and it is difficult to determine whether they are cast cavities by X-ray radiographic images taken from a single direction. Therefore, an X-ray inspection system that can observe from many different directions is necessary. In addition, since aluminum die-cast is a metallic material and many samples are large, an X-ray tube with a high voltage is necessary.
The horizontal model of our X-ray inspection systems has a turntable stage, so the workpiece can be rotated 360 degrees for observation simply by placing it on the object. The Computed Tomography (CT) imaging function is effective for more detailed shape observation. The ability to observe 3D images and cross-sectional images from three directions enables observation of internal structures that could not be seen without grinding or cutting, as well as dimensional measurement and comparison with design values by converting to Stereolithography (STL) data.
The horizontal X-ray inspection system μRay8700 is equipped with a 130kV microfocus X-ray tube and a high-resolution, large area 6-megapixel Flat Panel Detector (FPD), enabling wide-field, high-resolution X-ray radiographic images of Shrinkage Cavities in Aluminum Casting.
|X-ray tube voltage||130 kV|
|Magnification||1 to 100x|
- X-ray tube voltage
- X-ray power
High Penetrating Power X-ray Inspection System
Information on related articles in Technical Knowledge
- The Right Way to Choose appropriate X-ray Inspection System
- Principles of Radiography
- How to use X-ray Inspection System safely
- X-Ray Computed Tomography (CT) Basics: Learn more about CT technique.
- Non-Destructive Testing: Types and Applications
- What are X-rays? (Basic Knowledge)
- How to Take Beautiful X-ray CT Images? - X-ray Non-Destructive Inspection series (1) -
- Information Obtained from X-ray CT Images and How to View Them - X-ray Non-Destructive Inspection series (2) -
- Automatic Inspection and X-ray Image Processing - X-ray Non-Destructive Inspection series (3) -
- What is the difference between radioactivity, radiation, and radioactive materials?
- Effects of radiation on the human body and the safety of X-ray equipment