Regenerative, Bidirectional DC power supply
- Max voltage:
80Vdc to 1500Vdc
- Max current: 10A to 360A
- Max power:
5kW, 10W, and 15 kW
- Bidirectional operation
Next-generation model with high power and wide output range up to 15kW in a 19-inch, 3U rack
Adopting Air-through Circuit Blocking Technology
With the rise of EVs and hybrid cars, various devices related to bidirectional inverters and motors are being developed. Our PBR series, as a power supply simulating batteries required to develop those devices, is playing an active role.
When compared to existing bidirectional power supplies, PBR series that is smaller and parallel operation available allows you to flexibly cope with varying needs for evaluation and testing. Moreover, the bidirectional power supplies developed by Matsusada Precision are expected to contribute to technology development such as solar power and renewable energy.
Features and benefits
- State-of-the-art semiconductor
- In order to minimize the heat generation itself inside the power supply, we adopted the latest device including semiconductor elements of high efficiency via thorough examination. This enables the product to provide such a sufficient cooling function to maximize the high performance.
- Air-through Circuit Blocking Technology
- Following the structure review of the circuit blocking, the product has been made smaller, and we also have put more focus on the improvement of block arrangement contributing to the space efficiency by extremely reducing the dead space. Consequently, we achieved the significant development of the high-density mounting technology. While extra spaces inside the device had been required to release the heat so far, we successfully made the product even smaller to ensure the total amount of height of a mere 133 mm.
More Space Saving for Better Workplace
Introducing the extremely compact PBR makes more effective use of your work space. We have developed the smaller regeneration DC power supply for space saving aimed at installing other measuring tools, which makes effective use of the space at workplace.
Previous Product 100 kW
PBR 150 kW
For all released soon. More lineups will be added at any time.
|Model||Power running or Regeneration at Maximum|
|Voltage [Vdc]||Current [A]||Power [kW]|
|PBR200V70A5kW Coming soon||200||70||5|
|PBR200V140A10kW Coming soon||200||140||10|
|PBR200V210A15kW Coming soon||200||210||15|
* The device is designed on the assumption that all regenerated power is consumed on the premises.
Battery Simulator Function (Standard)
In the function, the simulation of I-V curve which is a fundamental feature of battery is provided. The voltage or current value is set at 1001 within the rated voltage or current of the PBR unit. In order to use this function, setting and loading in the PC application attached as standard are needed. Additionally, as many as 100 graph patterns (of I-V curve) are loaded to the PBR unit through this function.
SOC Automated variable Function (Option)
(1) Using -LAsoc Option, you can automatically change the graph patterns which have been previously created according to the power running or regenerative operation. For power running, the SOC will increase, and on the other hand, for regeneration, the SOC will decrease.
This integrated current is automatically calculated respectively to the change the graph patterns accordingly.
The function is available only for power running while it is not applied to the regeneration.
In terms of programmable sequence functions of step time, step amplitude, ramp, CV/CC mode, sequence end setting, step jump, and jump count, the sequence control makes such parameter operations much easier by only using the front panel operation.
As this option enables to generate optional waveforms, you can use a great variety of applications including testing evaluation, and verification.
- Step setting time 0.0 s to 3,600.0 s
- For one program, a maximum of 1,024 steps can be configured and stored.
- CV/CC mode can be set for each program.
- Repetition frequency: infinity, or 1 to 999
The product is also provided with the exclusive software to allow a series of configuration using PC.
Thus, you can use the product with different applications depending on the specification.
CV/CC Priority Setting Function
CV (constant voltage) priority/CC (constant current) priority mode can be selected and set.
As is the case with diodes, a load tends to suddenly change the resistance at certain points. When the device is started in CV mode, the current will be momentary overshot.
Using the PBR series, the occurrence of overshoot can be suppressed by selecting CC priority mode. The function can reduce the risk of damaging expensive loads such as high-power laser diodes.
* Overshoot is less likely to occur as the CC value is set to the lowest in the range where the CC state can keep not by releasing the voltage setting even in the CC priority mode.
Output Expansion Up to 150kW with Master/Slave Control
Capable of covering a wide output range with parallel connections of up to 10 units in total.
Master/Slave control cables are also available as options. go to Master/Slave control cable
- Expandable to a total of 10 Master and Slave units.
- In Master/Slave connection, the values of output voltage/current for the whole unit are shown on the output voltage/current meter of the Master. (However, each Slave unit does not display the individual output values on the output voltage/current meter.)
Note: Make sure to use the same length of all the cables to connect between each load and the main unit.
Sequence Setting Input or Output and Operation Log Output via Front USB Terminal
With this function, you can readily perform not only reading the sequence settings arbitrarily created but also collecting operating logs.
The attached software can read the log file output from the main unit and shows the data in a graph.
The information on operating log is shown on display as of operation time, CC/CV mode, output value (of voltage, current or power), status, and error data.
In the function, 1,024 steps of sequence programs as well as 100 patterns of the I-V curve are loaded from a USB memory. The operating log is also outputted to USB memory.
Two-mode Lock Function
The locking is selectable from two setting modes: one is "Full LOCK" to lock all front panel operation, and the other is "Normal LOCK" to lock everything except ON/OFF switch.
The function is so user-friendly that the "Full LOCK" mode is provided to ensure the prevention of erroneous operation, and the "Normal LOCK" function facilitates the emergency stop while preventing erroneous operation.
Emergency stop operation using the POWER ON or OFF switch is possible in either mode.
All switches except for LOCK release, the touch panel, and encoder are locked. It is further effective to prevent the erroneous stop during the remote control and to completely avoid erroneous operation.
Switches other than ON/OFF, the touch panel, and encoder are locked. It is further effective to prevent the erroneous changes of output values during the local control and to facilitate emergency stops.
Internal Resistance Variation Function (during CV mode)
A value set to the causes a voltage drop when the load current flows. Batteries, photovoltaic cells, and fuel cells can be simulated.
(The setting range of the internal resistance value is from 0 Ω to the rated voltage/rated current.)
Sink Current/Sink Current Prevention Function (Models with output voltage of 500 V or less)
The PBR series employs the sink current function, making it possible to reduce the voltage quickly when turning off the output or decreasing the voltage, thereby improving the safety of operation. In the case of consecutive burn-in testing with shorter intervals, the connectors can be detached and attached quickly after the output is turned OFF, and then, workpieces can be changed. Also, when supplying power to loads with capacities like batteries and capacitors, the sink current prevention function can be used to reduce the reverse current flowing from the load to the PBR series and to prevent a voltage drop on the load when the output is off or when the set voltage is lowered.
Note: The protection system is required to prevent the current from flowing into the power supply area in case of failure of the unit.
Using the connector in TB1 attached on the back of the unit, the status outputs are available by open collector.
|Type||TB1 connector pin|
|CV/CC or CP||15|
- Withstand voltage: 30 V
- Sink current: 5 mA
The regeneration has the lower limit of the voltage/current. For further information, please contact our sales representatives.
Operational range image of PBR80V240A10kW, PBR80V360A15kW
Operational range image of PBR200V210A15kW
Operational range image of PBR500V100A15kW
Operational range image of PBR850V54A15kW
Operational range image of PBR1500V30A15kW
Optical interface board: -LGob *
- -LGob : Optical interface board + optical cable 2 m
- -LGob (Fc5): Optical interface board + optical cable 5 m
- -LGob (Fc10): Optical interface board + optical cable 10 m
- -LGob (Fc20): Optical interface board + optical cable 20 m
- -LGob (Fc40): Optical interface board + optical cable 40 m
With optical communication, the unit is remotely controlled while it is isolated. As complete isolation is performed by means of optical fiber, this enables advance prevention of erroneous operation involved with transient phenomenon caused by surges, inductive lightning, external noise, etc.
Please purchase a control-side optical communications adapter separately.
- USB-optical converter adapter
- Model Name: USB-OPT
RS-232C/485 interface board: -LRs * Coming soon
Using RS-232C/485 communications, output controlling and operation status monitoring of these devices can be performed.
CAN interface board: -LCa *
Using CAN communications, output controlling and operation status monitoring of these devices can be performed.
SOC Automated variable system: -LAsoc
400 Vac, three-phase input: -L(400V) Coming soon
It is available with the system power supply voltage of 400 Vac, three-phase, 50/60 Hz.
How to OrderTo order, please add the above option codes to the model number.
* Selecting each individual option simultaneously in -Lgob, -LRs, and -LCa is not allowed.
AC input cable cable Sold separately
- Model Name: CABLE TYPE 14, CABLE TYPE 15
- Rated voltage/current: 600 V/58 A
- Cable length: 10 m
(Contact our sales representatives if you would like to extend the cable length.)
* In accordance with the local electrical code, there might be a possibility that a breaker is required between the main unit and the power supply system.
Please be sure to contact our sales representatives if the PBR series will be used in Europe.
|Model Name||Main unit||Power supply system|
* Please install the input terminal by customer
Master/Slave control cables Sold separately
- Model Name: PRT-MS# cable
The cable is a combination of share cable with terminals (see figure on the below) and parallel control cable. The distance between the share terminals is approximately 0.5m, and, the cable length will be added if necessary based on the number of PBR units.
For example, approximately 0.5m is required to connect the two PBR units while approximately 1m is used for the three PBRs. Regarding parallel control cable (LAN cable), a parallel cable is included in the two units or the two cables are in the three units. The ten units include nine parallel cables.
Example of Combination
- Two units:
- Share cable 0.5 m (1)
- Parallel control cable 0.5 m (1)
- Three units:
- Share cable 1 m (1)
- Parallel control cable 0.5 m (2)
- Ten units:
- Share cable 4.5 m (1)
- Parallel control cable 0.5 m (9)
- How to Order
- The model name is to be changed depending on the amount of units. When ordering the product, put a number from 2 to 10 in #. For example, "2" should be entered if you use the two PBR units in Master/Slave control or "10" in using the ten units.
The account registration is necessary for downloading
PBR series Datasheet
Date: 2020-07-02 rev. 04
PDF (3,994 KB)
PBR series Outline Drawing (DXF, PDF)
zip (2,078 KB)
In this website, we provide only the latest version of information including instruction manuals as of our products. Therefore, the newest versions of manuals on the website might be not same as the ones of products you purchased in the past.
Information on related articles in Technical Knowledge
- General caution of DC Power Supplies
- Types and Characteristics of Power Semiconductors -Performance Evaluation, Evaluation Test
- Method of Generating Direct Current
- How to Use Bidirectional Power Supply
- Battery Industry Segment is Heating Up! Power Supply and Voltage of EV Motor
- Electric Double-Layer Capacitors Are Optimal for Leveling Power
- Types and Characteristics of Charge Control
- What happens inside the rechargeable battery during charging and discharging?
- Basic Knowledge of Battery -Types and Characteristics-