Palmtop size Variable DC Power Supply
- Max. Voltage: 2 to 40 V
- Max. Current: 0.1 to 4 A
- Max. Power: 0.2 to 36 W
- Excellent quietness
Ultra Compact DC Power Supply
R4K-36 series are ultra-compact, high-performance DC power supplies which achieve sufficient output of 36 W in the "palm-sized". There are models that can set and output the current at the 0.1 mA increment, so the best power supply for applications which require quite precise control of current such as evaluation test of LED or EL lamps.
All models include the four-digit output voltage/current meter, and digital interfaces as standard equipment. These strong points allow you to use R4K-36 for the usage such as various quality tests and the production line of electronic components.
We pursue usability!
- Compact and light weight space saving design
- Unique low noise power conversion technology for research application
- Multiple units operation with master/slave and digital interface
- Very quiet due to the adopting natural air-cooling system without cooling fan.
Suitable for applications requiring the quietness.
- Four-digit meter
- High resolution D/A, A/D converter integrated
- Digital Interface is also available.
- Programmable waveform with pulse and ramp sequence function without external signal.
- Output voltage and output current can be set speedily.
- When setting output voltage and output current by rotary encoder on front panel, every time fine switch is pressed, setting digit on digital display will be switched. In case, setting small output value or change setting value widely, setting can be done speedily. (Fine switch cannot be used when output value is set by remotely.)
You can realize how small it is with comparison to a mouse.
Compared to stationeries...
|Model||Output||Ripple||Minimum setting unit *1||AC input|
|voltage [V]||current [A]||Power [W]||[mVms]||[mAms]||Output voltage
|Input voltage||Input current [typ]|
in 115 V
in 230 V *2
|R4K2-0.1||0 to 2||0 to 0.1||0.2||1||1||1||0,1|| 115 V ±10% *2
230 V ±10%
|0.1 A||0.05 A|
|R4K36-0.1||0 to 36||0 to 0.1||3.6||2||1||10||0,1||0.5 A||0.25 A|
|R4K8-3||0 to 8||0 to 3||24||4||4||1||1||1 A||0.5 A|
|R4K6-4||0 to 6||0 to 4||5||8||1||1||1 A||0.5 A|
|R4K40-0.6||0 to 40||0 to 0.6||3||1||10||0.1||1 A||0.5 A|
|R4K36-1||0 to 36||0 to 1||36||5||5||10||1||1 A||0.5 A|
|R4K18-2||0 to 18||0 to 2||5||5||10||1||1 A||0.5 A|
Multi Setting Function
Function to memorize three different voltage and current settings in addition to standard preset function. No need to adjust the output when different setting, and convenient function for production inspection process or testing which require frequent data sampling.
Delay Trigger Function
In case -LUs1, -LRmf option is selected, only one unit of R4K-36 series can be used.
Function to delay the OUTPUT ON/OFF time *1. It is possible to use in case single unit of R4K-36 series is used, and also when connecting several Matsusada power supplies *2 using master/slave connection terminal *3 and output voltage/output current are set individually, delay trigger function can be used. *4
- This function is not allowed to use together with all the sequence operations in -LDe Option with Pulse sequence function, Ramp function, and Master follow function. Go to Options
- Can be connected up to 16 pcs.
- R4K-80 series, RK-80 series, RK series and REK series. Detail catalog for each model is available. Please contact nearby sales office.
- Only for slave-local. In case of slave remote control, exact same model of power supply need to be used. Also, in case of slave-local, each output voltage and current can be set individually. In case of slave-remote, output voltage and current can be set with one-controlfunction which each slave unit follows the master unit setting.
*setting range of t1 to t8 is 0.0s to 99.9s
Two Mode Lock Function
Function to select two different lock functions for two different purposes. "Full Lock" locks all the function on front panel, and "Normal Lock" locks all the function except for ON/OFF. "Full Lock" mode shall be good in case mis-operation have to be completely avoided, and "Normal Lock" mode shall be good in case to avoid mis-operation but secure the way for emergency stop of power supply. You can select the best mode according to your level of "Security", (in both modes, emergency stop is possible with Power Switch.)
Lock all the function other than reset lock mode, and effective for purpose to avoid mis-operation when controlled.
Lock voltage and current setting dial, and effective for purpose to avoid changing output setting by mistake or when easy emergency stop is required.
Sink Current/Sink Current Prevention Function
R4K-36 series features function to sink current, and enable to decrease the voltage quickly when turning off the output or when control the voltage down, which increase the safety of operation. In case burn-in tests such as aging test are conducted one after another in short interval, connectors can be attached or removed quickly and go for the workexchange. Which increases the efficiency of process after the output OFF operation. On the contrary by using sink current prevention function, it is possible to prevent voltage drop on the load by decreasing the current flow from load to power supply when turning off the power supply or when decrease the output voltage.
- It is not possible to stabilize the output by controlling back current. In case of load which has inverse voltage or over rated voltage, such as inductive load or regenerative motor, protect the power supply by adding dummy resister or diode to prevent back current.
Master/slave can be used only when same model is used.
(Except the model with -LUs1 or -LRmf option.)
This is not a function for parallelly connected power supplies to give out average output current.
(A) GP-M Cable
As of models without interface option, a two-meter cable is provided in each unit. If you need a longer cable or additional cables, please consult with our sales staff.
Various Digital Control Functions
|Output ON/OFF setting|
(fault/output/OVP/OCP/OT/ACF/reversible sense connection)
|Maximum 16 units digital control|
|Collective control function for multiple units|
|Write function||Output voltage setting/Output current setting||
|OVP setting/OCP setting||
|Reading function||Output voltage reading/Output current reading||
|Output voltage setting/Output current setting||
|OVP setting/OCP setting||
* Minimum value of each model is same as minimum display of front panel meter.
Dual Tracking, Multiple Outputs
Dual tracking control, which enables both positive and negative outputs simultaneously in master/slave operation, is possible. Multi outputs and various versatile operations are also possible by combining above dual tracking control and slave local mode. Positive and negative output (+V, -V) of dual tracking control and set output voltage of slave local mode can be output simultaneously by turning on the master unit.
Go to Operations
Digital control of USB/Ethernet* /RS-232C/RS485/GPIB and one-control on master/slave operation.
*Ethernet is a registered trademark of Xerox Corporation.
- (A) CO-M Cable
- As of models without interface option, a two-meter cable is provided in each unit. If you need a longer cable or additional cables, please consult with our sales staff.
Remote Control Functions
Remote switch ON/OFF
* +S is common. So external control voltage shall be input with +S as reference. Otherwise it can cause failure.
|ON||SHORT||VCE ≤ 0.4 V|
|OFF||OPEN||VCE ≥ 2 V|
Sink current 1 mA
Compensate the voltage drop (V0-VL) due to resistance of output lead or drop of stability by contact resistance.
(maximum 0.5 V)
- Output voltage and OVP setting display
- Output current and OCP setting display
- Remote programming display:
Light up when output voltage/current control in remote mode.
- Output display:
Light up when output is on
- OUTPUT ON/OFF switch:
Used to turn output ON/OFF at local mode as well as to reset the protection functions.
- FINE switch:
Switching setting digit when setting output voltage and current.
- Monitor terminal and Output terminal (M6)
- Constant voltage operation mode display
- Constant current operation mode display
- Output PRESET switch
- OVP/OCP switch
- LOCK switch
- OUTPUT voltage, OVP setting dial
- OUTPUT current, OCP setting dial
- Power ON/OFF switch:
This has priority over all operations for safety reason
- Remote output ON/OFF switch
- OUTPUT terminal (up to 3 A)
- Digital interface IN (as well as Master/Slave and Delay trigger function)
- Digital interface OUT (as well as Master/Slave and Delay trigger function)
- Master/Slave selector switch
- AC inlet
-LIc: Output current accumulation function
Accumulate the output current and display its value (up to 100 Ah). Accumulated value is stored even when output is off. Also, accumulated value which stop the output can be set preliminarily, it is very suitable to the application such as controlling plating solution.
* Please consider the location of usage. High humidity environment can be the cause of failure and corrosion.
-LUs1: USB interface board *1 *2 *3
Enable digital control with USB. One power supply can be connected per one USB port which computer equipped. In case USB port which computer equipped is not enough, please use USB hub. However, depending on USB hub, it may not work correctly.
OS: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 (Both 32-bit version and 64-bit version are available.)
Microsoft Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
-LRmf: Remote multi function *1 *3
It is possible to control output voltage and output current by external voltage or external resistance.
(+S is common. So external control voltage shall be input with +S as reference.)
|Vout, Iout||Vcon, Icon||R|
|0 to MAX||0 to approx. 10 Vdc||0 to approx. 10 kΩ|
-LWo: Universal input Coming soon
100 to 240 VAC 50/60 Hz single phase.
Use appropriate AC input cable. Attached AC input cable is only for 100 V input.
-LH: Higher isolation voltage
This option make the isolation voltage to be ±1 kV, which enable extended capability of series operation.
-L(Mc0.5)*3: Communication cable length change
-L(Mc0.15)*3: Communication cable length change
Change length of CO-M cable to 0.5, 0.15-meter long.
-L(200V): 200 VAC ± 10% input
-L(230V): 230 VAC ± 10% input
- When these options are selected, standard digital interface will not be equipped. Also, these options cannnot be equipped together.
- For detailed specification of USB and digital interface, please refer data sheet of CO/USB series.
- -LUs1 or -LRmf option cannnot be equipped together with -L (Mc0.15) and -L (Mc0.5) option.
-LDe : Pulse/Ramp sequence, Master follow function
above output control, between A to D is available.
A. Pulse Sequence
According to the combination with Multi Setting Function, the sequence operation is available by using the voltage and current settings stored respectively in Memory a, b, and c. Also, setting the number of operations is provided, let alone continuous operation. As the set time of Memory a, b, c or off is set to 0.0, the output control has a great variety of operations such as continuous operation in both of Memory a and b or among Memory b, c, and off. Thus, the function is ideal especially for product evaluation tests.
ta, tb, tc, and toff can be set respectively with the range of 0.0 second, 1.0 seconds to 99.9 hours.
In this function, the ramp operation is available within the voltage and current settings (or up to 0 V/0 A starting the said values). It is excellent for increasing or decreasing the voltage and current values gradually. The function can also effectively reduce the load damage caused by overshooting.
* The ramp operation can be set with a range among “both settings of voltage and current value", "voltage setting only", and "current setting only".
t1 and t2 can be set range of 0.0 to 999 seconds.
C. Combination of Pulse and Ramp Sequence
Features of pulse sequence operation and ramp sequence operation can be combined for more convenient operation. In addition, by adding multi set function, sequence operation can be operated using stored voltage and current settings in each memory. The setting of repetition to say nothing of a continuous driving can be set. For example it is possible to slowly ramp up and down the voltage and current to the three different settings, and so, it is useful for various scenes.
t1 to t4 can be set range of 0 to 999 seconds.
ta, tb, tc and toff can be set range of 0.0 second to 99.9 hours.
D. Master follow
When the pulse sequence operation and the ramp work master-slave, the output signal to the slave unit is transmitted. The slave unit can be output in an output status different from the master unit.（Master follow function cannot be used with -LUs1 option.）
Note: The operation accuracy of the timer when sequensing is 0.5%. Be careful when you use it by the long-term running operation.
How to OrderTo order, please add the above option number to the model number.
- alphabetical, AC input order
AC Input Cable
CABLE TYPE 1
125 V/10 A
CABLE TYPE 3
250 V/10 A
fot -L (230 V) option
CABLE TYPE 4
250 V/10 A
In R4K-36 series, the output voltage and current can be increased by connecting the same models in series or parallel operation.
As to the control, the use of local control or digital master/slave control is recommended. The common of the external input control connector is connected to +output of the power supply.
So, do not connect it to any common of other power supplies.
Total output voltage is to be up to 250 V (-LH option models: 1 kV). Therefore for models with output voltage of over 250 V (or 1 kV), series operation cannot be conducted. Output current is to be the smallest current of those.
Please keep all the settings of voltage the same. Output current will be the summation of each current. Please keep OVP level of power supply maximum to prevent any damage.
Positive output and negative output are available.
R4K-36 series Accessory Kit
* Power supply is not included in the accessories.
Various accessories are available for convenient use of the unit.
Quintette case (R4K-36QC)
Special designed case to bind 5-unit of R4K-36 series. Power ON/OFF switch will be consolidated, and also AC input line on rear panel will be bundled to one. Also, handle on the top makes easy to carry.
- One set of translator for AC cable of five R4K-36
- Input AC cable 2.5 m single phase (3-pin type) (1)
- Instruction manual (1)
- CO-M cable 2 m (1), 0.5m (4)
- R4K-36 installation into the case to be conducted by customer. Please consult with sales office in case R4K-36 expected to be fit into the case by manufacturer side.
- Ambient temperature must not exceed the power supply's operation temperature in order for the temperature inside power supply to remain in the operation temperature. (power supply life time could be shortened to 50% if it operates in a condition where ambient temperature is 10ºC higher) It is user's sole responsibility to monitor the ambient temperature not to exceed the specification.
- Input AC for Quintet case is 115 V. In case 5 units of R4K-36 series power supply ordered with option -L (230 V) are expected to use with the case, please specify R4K-36QC-L(230 V) at the purchase.
Rack mount holder [RMO series]
10 Units/1 rack holder, and can be placed in a cabinet. Easy to take one unit out. Best suitable for a system operation. With fan unit for forced air cooling.
Power Supply start
For one unit operation...
The account registration is necessary for downloading
R4K-36 series Datasheet
Last updated: April 2, 2020 rev. 11
PDF (1,528 KB)
R4K-36 Basic Instruction Manual
Last updated: February 13, 2020 rev.0.0
PDF (247 KB)
R4K-36 USB Driver
In this website, we provide only the latest version of information including instruction manuals as of our products. Therefore, the newest versions of manuals on the website might be not same as the ones of products you purchased in the past.
Information on related articles in Technical Knowledge
- General caution of DC Power Supplies
- Method of Generating Direct Current
- How to Use Bidirectional Power Supply
- Battery Industry Segment is Heating Up! Power Supply and Voltage of EV Motor
- Electric Double-Layer Capacitors Are Optimal for Leveling Power
- Types and Characteristics of Charge Control
- What happens inside the rechargeable battery during charging and discharging?
- Basic Knowledge of Battery -Types and Characteristics-
Products to be used in combination
Rack mount holder for Matsusada power supplies
19-inch rack which hold Matsusada Precision’s table top power supplies
USB, Ethernet, RS-232C, RS-485, and GPIB supported